Sunday, February 5, 2012

Week 5: Kissing Frogs

Welcome to Week 5!  Is it five weeks that it takes to make a habit stick or six weeks?  If nothing else, this project is getting me into the habit of writing, which is precisely what I wanted.  The downside, of course, to knowing you have a play due by 10 p.m. every Sunday night is...well, that you have a play due every Sunday night.  This week has been challenging for me.  I've been in a bad mood and the weather, the news, really it seems everything has been conspiring to keep my mood down.  Truth be told, I was tempted to blow off writing the play this week.  I wasn't in the mood to play, to create.  I couldn't think of any ideas.  The old Bonnie would have blown it off this week, gotten out of the habit of writing, and this project would have been stopped dead in its tracks.  The new Bonnie, however, doesn't go for the old excuses.  So, I wrote.  Even though I was tired.  Even though I didn't want to.

This week's play, Kissing Frogs, is a fresh look at some old favorites.  I've been reading The Annotated Grimm's Fairy Tales this week, on loan from the public library (yay libraries.)    The stories, in their original, non-Disneyfied form, are a lot more grim(m) than I remember.  My play revolves around three Grimm heroines: Snow White; the Princess in The Frog King; and the miller's daughter in Rumplestiltskin.  Trapped in an abandoned cottage and on the run from their husbands, they long for a different fate...

No comments:

Post a Comment