Monday, July 23, 2012

Week 29-The Mercy Season

I've spent the last few days thinking a lot about forgiveness.  I will be honest here and say that there are certain people in my life that I have found myself unable to forgive.  Sometimes I worry about that.

Most of you are very aware of the movie theatre shooting that took place a few days ago at a midnight screening of the new Batman movie in Aurora, CO.  Even nowadays, despite the fact that we, as a society, are surrounded by violent movies, TV shows, comic books, video games, etc., there are still some instances of real-life violence that take our breath away.  People have spent the last few days debating the issue of gun control in this country, whether Hollywood is to blame, the state of the mental health system, etc.  What has struck me, for the last couple of days, are how many survivors have said publicly that someday they are sure that they will be able to forgive the man who shot them.

I, frankly, marvel at these people.  People who were just trying to enjoy a movie and suddenly found themselves, their friends, wounded and dying.  They make forgiveness seem easy.  But is it that easy?  Can it be that easy?

Week 29's play is The Mercy Season.  As a Trigger Warning, the play includes graphic descriptions of sexual violence and its aftermath.

No comments:

Post a Comment