Sunday, April 29, 2012

Week 17 - Lizzie and Liz and Liza

Hola from week 17!  I will be working on a ten minute play about Margaret of Anjou in the coming weeks so be on the lookout for that.  Tomorrow I film a commercial.  Behold the life of the freelance writer/actor.

I do have a question for the internets.  Way back in 2010, I wrote my Master of Letters thesis on Will Kempe and Robert Armin, the principal clowns in Shakespeare's acting company.  I became slightly obsessed with these two gentlemen and envisioned them as a sort of early modern Felix Unger (Armin) / Oscar Madison (Kempe.) My final ten minute play for my Playwriting class in 2011 was called Wiseguys and it looked at their (completely imagined) relationship.  I have been mulling, scheming, and formulating a way to turn the story of these men (and the larger story of what it was like to be a part of the late Elizabethan theatre revolution) into a full length play.  So, here's my question.  Should I spend some of my time that I've allotted to this project to work on Wiseguys?  Or should I continue this project as a separate entity from working on a full-length play at this time?  Should I even BE working on full-length works right now?  What do you guys think?

Week 17's play is Lizzie and Liz and Liza.  The play looks at the dreams of youth and how they turn into the realities of the present.  That's about as much as I can say without giving everything away. :)

2 comments:

  1. I say go for it! Work on a full-length play!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you work on a full-length play and still work on the one-acts? Because I'd miss the one-acts (but obviously want you to work on a full-length play). :-)

    ReplyDelete