Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Week 36 - Gramercy

This week, my grandmother died of complications from Alzheimer's disease.  She was 90.  It was expected. But, you never really do expect these things.  It's always a punch to the gut.  This week also happens to coincide with the anniversary of the 2001 terrorist attacks in the USA.  I lived in New York City in 2001.  I watched the attacks happen from the roof of the apartment I was subletting in Williamsburg.  I've gotten to the point where I don't think about those strange days, but with all the media coverage every year around this time, it's kind of hard not to.  I've spent a lot of time this past week thinking about loss.  And memories.  And legacy.

This week's play is titled Gramercy and is a two-hander that takes place in Gramercy Park, in downtown Manhattan.  It's a private park that is only accessible by key, and it seemed a good place to set a play that is about the privacy (and primacy) of loss.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your loss, Bonnie. I just read this week's play. I really love the dialogue, you know where it's going but you want to hear how it gets there. I think that my aunt showed me this park through the bars leading into it when I visited her in New York as a small one, could be one of those mismemories though. Either way I think a hidden park in NYC is the perfect setting and I'm glad that I got to spend a little time on 9/11/12 reading this blog post and your play. Love.

    ReplyDelete