Sunday, May 27, 2012

Week 20: It's Academic and Week 21: The New Guy

Yes readers, this evening you get two posts and two plays for the price of one.  My apologies for not posting last week.  An old friend was in town and I had to say goodbye to a former roommate before her move across the country.  Shakespeare's "Parting is such sweet sorrow" seems apt here, but partings feel permanent to me and I know that I will see both of these people again. :)

You may remember from an earlier post that I spoke about abandoning writing ten-minute plays for a time in favor of writing my full-length play about Shakespeare's clowns.  Well, as it turns out, I am doing both.  Week 20's play is It's Academic and concerns scholars at a Shakespeare conference.  Week 21's play is The New Guy and introduces Will Kempe and some of his co-workers (a guy by the name of Shakespeare figures into the plot as well).  Together, the two plays might not seem to go together.  But as Cousin Larry would say on Perfect Strangers "I have...an idea!"  And they are going to go together.  Right now I'm sort of envisioning it as something similar to one of my favorite plays, Tom Stoppard's Arcadia, as the play goes back and forth in time.  Not that it will be as good as anything Stoppard could write, but that's where some of my inspiration is coming from.

No comments:

Post a Comment